Should I question my existence?



Reading the latest fashion news always fascinates me. The latest bit which I have been reading about is Elton John Boycotting D&G. For those of you who don’t know, the D&G designers Mr Gabbano and Mr Dolce came out to say “I call children of chemistry, synthetic children. Rented uterus, semen chosen from a catalogue.” In which Elton John came back on Instagram to them starting a Boycott D&G, it’s made for an interesting and sensitive read.

I wanted to weigh in on this, as a 17 year old I guess you could say I am inexperienced and greatly lacking in the knowledge of family planning, however as a child of IVF this makes the subject much closer to me.

For starters I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, so Mr Gabbana  has every right to believe what he believes and Like wise to Elton John, and again with everyone who read the social media dispute they too have their own entitlement to opinion.  But to voice this so publicly? Have they really considered the consequences to others?

I have never thought much of being an IVF baby, but I am. I have always just thought of myself as a normal human being, with a heartbeat, a brain, a pair of lungs and a belly button. I hadn’t given much thought to my test tube conception until now. I guess to some the thought of IVF is controversial and almost alien, however it has brought about a great deal of happiness to a massive amount of families whether it be straight or gay. So what if my conception wasn’t traditional. I am grateful to be on this world living and breathing, I’m having a whale of a time. I know I have given my parents a spectrum of emotions, ranging from happiness and fulfilment, to angst and stress. But we also have the most incredible moments, like any family, with the modern day what really is a traditional family anymore? I am just grateful for my life. Do those feelings come from a “plastic” or synthetic child, as suggested by Stefano Gabbano. Myself as a fashion student makes me question the brand, they are keen to take my money however not respect my life and existence. Even the Pope supports IVF, and since there are over 5 million IVF children in the world, surely, Mr Gabbano and Mr Dolce  should have thought twice, before he chucked his words out on Instagram. Shame on you D&G. This is one blogger with a future ahead in the fashion world you have lost here! 


Personally, I think regardless of how a family was formed, we should just be happy that it’s formed, a family has an unbreakable bond, an unconditional love and to finish with a Lilo and stitch quote "'Ohana" means "family." "Family" means "no one gets left behind." I am loved by my parents, and I love them too. No amount of D&G garments could buy this love.



0 comments:

Post a Comment